Friday, June 24, 2016

Niagara Falls - 1950s Road Trip


Support this blog by using this Amazon Link


"Slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch...," 

One of my childhood memories was watching slideshows on visits with my aunts and uncles. It was a big deal to haul out a projector, set up the Da-Lite screen  and watch the show, making comments for each photo. 

In my opinion this was the ideal way to see photographs and when I shot in film I consistently chose slide film. Slide shows were popular but also great fodder for comedians. The comic would use a clicker and comment on the photos (which the audience would only imagine). Very little editing would go into the shows with slides being shown sideways, upside down and sometimes bursting into a bubbling mess from the 500 watt projection bulb.

Over the years I've scanned many of these photos. I still have several slide projectors and the projection screen and maybe on some rainy fall day I might set it up for another viewing.


The Janis Family at Niagara Falls in the 1950s


Ed Janis with Bobby and Mike at Niagara Falls


Life Magazine  1970 advertisement for Kodak Carousel Projector
These were the gold standard for slides because they used gravity to feed the projector, no jamming.





No comments:

Post a Comment